In this neck of the woods, we have 3 seasons. Rainy season, slightly less rainy season, and blackberry season. And suddenly this year we were hit with a new one: drought season. After weeks of scorching temperatures and minimal rain, I can’t begin to tell you how happy I was to see blackberry season arrive. Sure, there’s the fact that it means the rain isn’t too far behind, but more importantly…blackberries!
With an entire field full of blackberries at my disposal, trying to decide what to do with the inevitable buckets of these juicy berries that end up in my kitchen is a task I am happy to tackle. There is the always delicious blackberry apple crisp, the classic blackberry pie, and last year’s new discovery of blackberry apple sauce (have I mentioned we also have three apple trees in our yard?), but there is nothing more delicious than Blackberry Lemon Sticky Buns.
There are 3 ways to make these Sticky Buns: The Martha Stewart way (hand made from scratch) the Proud-to-present-these-to-the-inlaws-and-never-tell-them-I-used-a-bread-machine way (bread machine dough) anddddddd the it’s-too-hot-to-spend-hours-in-the-kitchen-but-I-love-dessert way. I won’t tell you which method I subscribe to. Suffice it to say you can buy frozen bread dough in the freezer section of your local supermarket and no one will be the wiser. I’ve used all 3 methods and you truly can’t tell the difference. I won’t judge you if you go all Martha Stewart and outshine me, I promise.
Blackberry Lemon Sticky Buns
- 2 loaves of frozen white bread dough, or homemade bread dough recipe dough
- 12 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 cups of frozen blackberries
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 3 tbsp powdered sugar (divided)
- 3 tbsp milk or cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Thaw the frozen bread dough in the fridge overnight (or for 12 hours) or make a double batch of your own bread dough recipe (I won’t judge!) Remove from fridge, cover and let rise for 2 hours. Flour the work surface well and roll the two pieces together into a rectangle of approximately 12” x24” (just eyeball it!)
- Mix together the cream cheese, lemon zest, sugar, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix together the frozen blackberries, cornstarch and 3 tbsp powdered sugar.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the entire surface of the dough then sprinkle the blackberry mixture over the top. Starting on one long end, carefully roll the dough up into a log. Using a serrated knife, cut the log into 12 equal pieces. Place the rolls in a parchment paper lined 9 X 13 inch baking dish and allow them to rise for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the tops are golden brown. After allowing the sticky buns to cool for 15 minutes, remove them from the pan using the parchment paper. Whisk together the powdered sugar, milk or cream and lemon juice. Drizzle this deliciousness over the top of the sticky buns.